Saturday, April 25, 2009

Hello Readers,
I hope you are all having a pleasant weekend so far. Here, the weather is glorious and today's high is 84 F. Pretty soon it might get unbearably hot because the nights are extremely warm already. I spent time in my garden with a wide-rimmed straw hat. There are so many mosquitoes and gnats in this part of the country. Gosh, so many that it triggers long-forgotten memories of the African Anopheles mosquito. Its sting sends one to bed with a high fever and chills. The last time I checked, at least a million people die from malaria every year. Thank God the Georgian mosquitoes are disease free. However, they leave their marks in the way of huge red and terribly itchy swellings of the skin. Many a night I have been up as a result of the itching. Anyway, this is a minor irritation and I was reminded earlier of Ecclesiastes' piece on time. A time to be born and a time to die ... I remember hearing or reading about the deaths of ...

Bernie Mac on August 9, 2008 at the age of 50. A well-known actor/comedian from Chicago's south side, he was said to have sarcoidosis and died from pneumonia complications.
Natasha Richardson on March 18, 2009 at the age of 45. A British actress (married to Liam Neeson), she died from an epidural hematoma following a ski accident.
Bea Arthur on April 25, 2009 at 86. One of the Golden Girls, she was a well-known witty actress from New York and passed away from cancer.
I feel saddened in spite of the fact that I knew not these people in real life. I connected to them only through the media. I feel the same way that I did years ago upon hearing of the deaths of Princess Diana and King Hussein of Jordan. People whom I perceived to be good people in their own worlds which were worlds away from mine. Life goes on ... it always does. May God comfort all grieving families because the pain or shock of loss never really goes away.

You all have a blessed evening and do remember to be thankful for your life and all that you've got (even if it doesn't seem like much right now).

8 comments:

zorlone said...

I am glad to hear that there the weather is almost the same here in my country. hehehe. It gets humid and dry but it will rain and flood in an instant too.

How weird the weather just like life and death. WE may never know when the sun stops shining and the clouds would appear to take our happiness away.

Nice post. Very conversational with beautiful insights.

zorlone said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nomad said...

I watched the Golden Girls on daytime television all time about 15 years ago... Bea Arthur was one of the funnier members of that cast

IJ said...

To Zorlone,
I sincerely appreciate your comments. Do stay tuned & I'll check out the link you mentioned elsewhere. Thx.

To Nomad,
Thanks for stopping by and I agree with you; Bea Arthur was great. Over here the show still comes on late night & I catch it now and then. It still makes me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

IJ said...

To Tabitha,
Thank you for coming by this blog post. I wanted to be a voice of encouragement because sometimes we just need to be reminded that we can keep on going.

Lilly said...

Strange how we look upon death really given its a given. Its jsut sad to think we wont see people again. Their spirit lives on though! Great reminder that life goes on regardless of the bump in the road.

IJ said...

To Lilly,
Your words truly ministered to me. I am quite uncomfortable with death and attributed it to fear of the unknown. Now you have soothed me by portraying it as you do. It is a given, and its the sadness of not seeing people again that gets to me. Spot on. Thanks for putting my discomfort into words.