Friday, March 20, 2009

Remember my blog post called Edge Runner?

I had written that the Edge Runner had a crooked back wheel. We had another older yet sturdy bike which was in worse shape and needed more serious repairs. Well, the other day my husband got a new bicycle for me to practice on. Although new to us, it was actually second-hand. It was slightly smaller, faster and named the Mongoose. At his insistence, I went on a trial ride... all the way down our road which lacks any pavements and back again.
By pavements I mean what is known here in America as sidewalks. I succeeded somewhat in overcoming my fear of the traffic, holding my ground and not falling off as passing cars whizzed by. I looked forward to perfecting my confidence and turns with Mongoose in the coming weeks. Sadly though, my plans were shattered.

Today we left home at 0955h for an appointment. The three bicycles were lined up against the wall. Upon our return at 1420h my husband immediately noticed that the latest addition was missing. Mongoose was gone. Taken from where she'd stood behind the others only hours earlier. A sudden sadness overcame me. Why would someone steal our bike? It was unfair, for one thing. My husband works hard and saves his money to purchase a bicycle; then someone comes along and just takes it without sweat. Going online I realized that bike thefts are not uncommon. Still, I felt violated. Had the thief been watching us to know that we were out. This incident, minor as it may seem, challenges my sense of security and safety. Some consolation is that Edge Runner was spared, because of her wonky wheel - no doubt.

Back in New Jersey, a man had broken into my apartment at three o'clock one morning a year ago when I stayed in Irvington. Of course I moved out within twenty-four hours to a safer neighborhood in Newark. Over there you leave nothing outside. Here everyone leaves stuff lying around in open and often gate-less yards. Perhaps this caused me to let down my guard when I moved to this seemingly quiet street in this small town. Today's episode was a necessary reminder to be ever careful wherever I am... and prayerful too.


Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain. [Psalm 127:1]

2 comments:

CathM said...

Sorry to hear about your recent bike theft incident... and awful that it brought back such painful memories re the break-in/violation last year. Sending loads of positive thoughts across the cyberwaves to you sis. Take care of you!

IJ said...

Thanks Cath,
Appreciate the positive energy and I certainly feel better. I had some "me" time tending my new garden- therapeutic as you once said :) Love Lil