Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I stopped suddenly. There was a tiny bird lying motionless on its back, wings tucked into its side. It lay as if it were sleeping but I knew it was dead. Another step, another bird and this one lay at an odd angle. It too was lifeless. The birds were barely a foot from the main road upon a patch of grass. I wondered at their demise unable to fathom what might have occurred. Sad. I didn't know what to do. I left them there and walked on. Days later the vivid memory remains with me. Perhaps I could have found a spot and buried them. I felt sombre. Might there have been a lesson in that? I look for life lessons everywhere now. Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? - Matthew 6v26. Man is like a breath; his days are like a passing shadow - Psalm 144v4.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace. To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven - Ecclesiastes 3v1-8.

No comments: