Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Waterfront

Dear Readers,
I thought it would be interesting to study my thought process. I try to understand the ways and reasons why I review and revise certain writings, so I decided to post this work, The Waterfront, in its different shapes (versions) in the order in which they were written. I'm not sure about the final piece, but the process is certainly valuable. Sometimes I sift through (process) stories and poems in my head while writing, and I am able to post the finished piece as is. Other times, I seem to edit forever until it feels "right". Sometimes words roll off my mind a mile a minute, faster than I can write. Other days my brain considers each and every word resulting in scanty pieces.


I)
The murky depths beckoned
Millions of tiny waves rippled across
Reflections on the surface from the afternoon sun
Cast haphazard shadows all over the water

The embankment was steep
Muddy with cans strewn upon
A grey steel railing ran around
Fencing off the water

The small house was painted white
Old yet of simple style
The second floor afforded the view
Of the waterfront below



II)
Clear deep blue depths
Beckoned as tiny waves rippled across
Reflections on the surface from the afternoon sun
Cast delicate shadows on the water

The shoreline sloped softly
White sands bare and inviting
A bamboo fence surrounds all sides
Keeping separate the water

The large house was painted white
Modern and exquisite both
The French windows opened wide
Revealing the waterfront below


III)
Murky depths
Millions of waves
Reflections
Haphazard shadows

Embankment steep
Muddy
Steel grey rail
Fences off the water

Small house painted white
Old yet simple
Second floor view
Waterfront below



IV)
Clear deep blue
Tiny waves ripple
Reflections at noonday
Delicate shadows

Shoreline slopes softly
White sands invite
Bamboo fence surrounds
Separate is the water

Large white house
Exquisite modern
French windows wide
Waterfront below

6 comments:

Opaque said...

I must start by writing, I loved them all. But, I reckon the second one is my most favourite one. It is just fantastic! I kept comparing it to the rest. It was like the benchmark. I say, the second one is the best here.

I like the way how you've separated them with different shades of green.

Keep writing!!!

darsden said...

Beautiful Lilly just Beautiful, you do have a wonderful way to your writing,it draws me in.
I just don't know how and where you find the time. I know you must be extremely busy in your professional life..my goodness, I admire you :-)

Rogue said...

I will agree with Brosreview Lily. # 2 seems to do it for me. Opening with the word murky sets the tone for the rest of the poem; and that in itself is a good thing as well. However, I sense that during the writing of the second draft, you were in a far more fanciful frame of mind. That also sets the tone. Yes, definately #2 is for me:-) Well done Lily!

Anonymous said...

Lilly, all of these are outstanding scribes.

Mr. Woolf said...

I'm quite impressed with your blog! It's interesting to say the least. There's both wisdom and beauty on this blog, and that's not easily found!

Blessings,
Mr. Woolf
http://www.theologicallyeclectic.com/

IJ said...

Dear Friends,
Thank you for all the insightful and valuable comments, and for helping me to become a stronger writer as I incorporate your words of wisdom [ideas and writing tips].

To Brosreview,
Thanks, you noticed the colour scheme - lol! Yes, I seem to prefer #2 over #1, yet I kinda like the abridged version of it (#4) too. My thinking here is that "fewer words" force a stronger imagination on the reader... Take care.

To Darsden,
You are so kind. Actually, for now (since I've been back in America) I am not yet working in my field. Its a long story (smile) but I have finally received this as a time of rest- a special gift from God. I once worked 7 days a week for almost 1 year at a mission hospital overseas (before I got my first day off, and still had to go in to help with a charitable medical outreach- lol!). Then I did 6 day weeks for nearly 2 years. Right now, this is a long spell of "me" time [while I still pray to find a residency training position asap :)]... amen! Stay well.

To Rogue,
Hmmm, interesting that you also connected with #2. Oh yes sir, I was in a more fanciful mindset for that - lol! You'd make a good teacher for a "Writing 101" course. Have a blessed week.

To Tabitha,
I so appreciate your compliment. It urges me on, to strive higher and accomplish more. God brings people unto our paths for a purpose - thank you for being in my path. Stay well.

To Mr. Woolf,
Welcome to my blog and thank you for reading. You have given me such an impressive compliment that I shall work earnestly to maintain. I look forward to visiting your blog this week. Be blessed.