Tuesday, September 8, 2009

No Voice

How dare they?
Walked in and handcuffed me
Refused to listen to my pleas
Guilty until proven innocent!

How dare they?
Is the law for us or against us?
Tears on the face of loved ones.
Heads shaking, others looked on

How dare they?
Bound by men just like me.
And where was God?
Because I did nothing wrong.

How dare they?
Etched an image in my memory forever.
Distrust of men in uniform
Black, white, all alike.

How dare they?
Harvard professor & Sean Bell
Rodney King,
Now me

How dare they?
Caused me to anger and cry
Let me go without a word
Not an apology was heard

How dare they?
Showed me the ugly side of life.
I also am a man in uniform
But for a moment I was a man scorned.


A few weeks ago, this scenario played out in my life and I was deeply affected. Although the thoughts are mine, the handcuffed hands were not ... but I sat there and watched it all. Sad, alone, two hundred and sixty miles away from home. When it was all over, it felt like a strange dream. The experience taught me so much - God is an awesome deliverer!

7 comments:

darsden said...

That was a very sad day on both parts, I see both sides and I think 2009 it is a very sad day in this time!

RCUBEs said...

Beautiful words that showed the injustices done to so many innocent, powerless people. Yes, the Lord is an awesome Deliverer. Even if we have so many injustices, He will do His part to help us in His time. God bless.

CathM said...

Hmmmmmm... harrowing, but thank goodness you and W got through it!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

wow. this is powerful. And I agree. God is an awesome deliverer. Sarah

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you went through this whether directly or indirectly. God is awesome!

Greener Bangalore said...

Its sad when someone is accused when they are really innocent and yes the laws are made for us and not against us. But the 'state' and its mechanisms has to go a few level above at times to close all the loop holes.
so far our soul do no mistake no policemen or handcuff or even jails or judges can make any impact upon us.......

Greener Bangalore said...

And yes you have that great sense to convert instances to lovely thoughts.....Great going Lilly