Saturday, July 18, 2009

THE WOODPECKER


I sat there. Just sat there gazing through the window pane. Then I noticed him through an open window as he climbed slowly and steadily up a big tree trunk. His red head bobbed as he went along, bobbing up and down as he pecked. Occasionally he would pause as if to survey the lie of the land - the portion of tree bark he was working. Working, he was, yet some might say he was destroying. Yes, he was destroying the tree, attacking it and creating holes in the beautiful old pine trunk. He, on the other hand, must think that he was simply carving out a haven for himself ... taking refuge in an old tree.

I wrote this piece the other day. Posting it on my blog now makes me feel like I need to carve out a safe haven for myself in this topsy turvy world of mine. I long for a physical place of refuge. However, deep down inside me I know that God is my safe haven; my place of refuge; my rock and sure foundation. I pray that He keep us all safe, and hide us in His most secret place where we can rest as peace and love flow upon us without ceasing. Have a blessed weekend!

8 comments:

CathM said...

"I need to carve out a safe haven for myself in this topsy turvy world of mine. I long for a physical place of refuge..."--- I totally can relate to this feeling :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful words from the heart, you are right we all need a safe haven, thank God we have Jesus! be blessed

Suzette Saxton said...

Sigh... I love your blog. Your writing is so lovely. :)

I'm bestowing an award upon your blog, as it is one of my favorites. Come check out my blog for the details.

XOXO Suzy

darsden said...

I love the woodpeckers too but they have killed all our dog wood trees out here with all there holes. I also saved one and did a post about him... I held him so long, well actually he had a death grip on my finger..but after working with him for over 3 hours he lived and flew off. I was so proud. :-) I don't know how I missed this post, sorry I am late. You could always sneak over here for a vacation..would love to chit chat with you :-))

Peter Stone said...

Hey Lilly,
I love this, "He, on the other hand, must think that he was simply carving out a haven for himself ... taking refuge in an old tree."

Which of course reminds me of the Psalms, which presents God as our hiding place, our refuge, our strong tower. Which is also the conclusion you came too.

God bless :)

IJ said...

Dear Readers & Friends,

Thank you all so much for stopping by. My sincere apologies for taking so long to acknowledge your lovely comments which are always so uplifting and encouraging.

To: CathM,
Thanks sis & take care of you.

To: Living, Loving @ Laughing,
Yes, thank God we have Jesus. Have a great week!

To: Suzette Saxton,
Aw, thanks very much. I've missed your blog so must stop by and catch up with your writings...

To: Darsden,
I'll try to look up your woodpecker post. I've been off air for a while and its good to be back. Stay blessed.

To: Peter Stone,
I'm glad you liked it. I love to be reminded of "God as our hiding place, our refuge, our strong tower". It makes me feel safe to see (in my mind's eye) us resting in the palm of God's hand.

Now let me go catch up with your blogs which I have truly missed. You all be blessed this week ...
LJ

Nikki (Sarah) said...

this is so profound. thank you for sharing it. First off, I love woodpeckers cause they're pretty dumb but so cute. And I crave that safe place too. FOr me it's in nature listening to His whispering. Sarah

IJ said...

To: Sarah,
Oh how you echo my heart when you say "For me it's in nature listening to His whispering" - I can so relate to that. Have a blessed week.
LJ