Sunday, January 24, 2010

THE WINDING ROAD


It was curves and hills most of the way. Rocky in parts. Potholes too; lots of them. The bus driver navigated the route effortlessly. He must have done it countless times. I was the only one on the bus; the only passenger, I mean. "VIP", I told the driver. He laughed. Later he echoed in his french accent, "VIP". Yes, I felt special on the bus that day. Thankfully the driver left me to my thoughts. My eyes wandered as I gazed out of the windows. We passed a little village with mud homes scattered on both sides of the road. There were also brick structures - cement brick rather than the familiar burnt brick. Children played in the different yards. I saw three boys along a small foot bridge. I saw a toddler engrossed in some activity and another small child sitting on the steps of an old dwelling. Along the way we passed a mother sitting out in a front yard, breast-feeding, while others conversed about her. The scene was busy yet she appeared oblivious to the goings-on. I watched a lady walking on the side of this major, yet narrow road, carrying a baby. I remember thinking how I could never live near such a busy road-


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lily,
Thank you for dropping by my blog.
I am so glad that my post encouraged you. My marriage is not perfect, but so much better.
Blessings,
Tammy

CathM said...

Very vivid descriptions, Lil...

Dr. Tripat Mehta said...

wow..amazing story... i really liked it!

IJ said...

I thanks you all for your dear comments which encouraged me to write today's blogpost titled GLORY. Be blessed as you read it. Finally Free- yes, we are!

xxx