Sunday, November 22, 2009

SOUNDS

The air conditioner rattles away on low cool.
The motor of the small fridge hums nonstop all day; every day.
The gentle tapping of the keyboards as I put my thoughts into prose.
A car pulls away from the office block in which I sit;
the main gates to the yard creak open to let it by.
A faint knocking on the clinic front door, then a louder knocking on another door as the owner of the knuckles searches a means to enter.
A tiny jingle alerts me to a message on my screen,
just as a cell phone sings its tune.
A discussion with a friend with a heavy European accent.
Then all goes quiet as the power shuts off suddenly and blackness envelopes me.
A moment goes by when I could have heard a pin drop.
Now the revving up of the computer as it boots up again.
The air conditioner comes on again, and the fridge picks up its tune.

2 comments:

RCUBEs said...

Felt like I was there with that power outtage! A good reminder though to have a pause out of all life's busyness. Happy Thanksgiving to you and God bless.

IJ said...

Thanks as always RCUBEs. Your comments are like a breath of fresh air, a refreshing. I like the way you siad it 'to have a pause out of ...life's busyness' - Amen & God bless you too.